We're joined by cocktail enthusiast, photographer, food blogger and friend, Eron Rauch. Bottles are gathered, ice is crushed and we talk about cocktails to refresh your summer. Hemingway is invoked, techniques are discussed and hopefully some value is imparted to the listener!
Death in the Afternoon
- Chill a champagne flute
- Add 1.5 oz Absinthe
- Top with chilled bubbly.
- Chill Julep cup or rocks glass
- Add 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp water to a mixing glass (or 1 tsp simple syrup)
- Add 3 sprigs fresh mint to the mixing glass and gently muddle for 30 seconds.
- Fill mixing glass with crushed ice
- Add 2 oz Bourbon, stir with a bar spoon, again, for 30 seconds or so
- Dump ice from julep cup/rocks glass and fill with fresh crushed ice.
- Strain spirits from mixing glass, dust top of ice with confectioner's sugar.
- Garnish with leafy mint sprig
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker
- Add 1.5 oz white rum
- .75 oz fresh lime juice
- .25 oz grapefruit juice
- .25 oz Luxardo Maraschino
- Shake all ingredients thoroughly
- strain into a chilled glass